[U-Boot] [patch 0/3] Improve stability USB memory sticks for the common OHCI USB layer.

Remy Bohmer linux at bohmer.net
Fri Sep 19 11:16:19 CEST 2008

Hello Stelian,

>> Does it work without the patches? Is it a regression, or still an improvement?
> It is an improvement, without the patches it doesn't work at all

I am happy to hear that :-)))

So, Markus, please do not let this issue stop you from integrating
these patches :-))

>> > U-Boot> usb storage
>> >  Device 0: not available
> What about this one ? Isn't this supposed to say something else ?

I get these messages also, and I did not considered that to be a
problem, because everything works...
I got these messages from the beginning, even when USB worked on a
single USB stick when I compiled everything with GCC 3.4.
I will look into it, but I want to make clear that it is not something
I broke with my patches.

>> > U-Boot> fatinfo usb 0:1
>> > ** Invalid boot device **
>> I have no explanation for this error, it could be related to the
>> filesystem on the USB stick itself.
> No, the filesystem is ok. (it's a 1GB stick btw).

I have tested with USB sticks in the range of 256 MB up to 8 GB.
So, the size should not matter. I tested FAT16 and FAT32.
But, there are USB sticks out there that contain actually 2 devices
with an internal hub. Some of these work, and some of these do not.
It has to do with U-boot only capable of handling 1 USB storage device
at a time.

An example of such sticks can be found here (there may also be other
manufacturers):
http://www.pendrivestore.com/products/pendriveusb2/index.shtml
(Notice that from this manufacturer none of the 1GB editions seem to
work, however the 8GB and 256 MB versions work properly)

> I'll try to test on some other AT91SAM9 boards later today, if I find a
> few minutes...

Thanks, and I expect to hear some more positive news ;-)))

Kind Regards,

Remy