[U-Boot] SD card support for U-boot 1.3.4

Tom Tom.Rix at windriver.com
Tue Dec 1 22:22:00 CET 2009

Jimmy Shergill wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am a new user of U-boot and Linux. Please bear with me. I have Atmel
> AT91SAM9263-EK (ARM based) and have U-boot 1.3.4 running on it. Currently
> U-boot, Linux Kernel and jffs2 root filesystem, all are in NAND flash and
> work fine. We need to boot the evaluation kit from SD Card.
>
> 1. Does U-boot 1.3.4 supprt SD Card? If not, how can I make it supprot SD
> Card or do I need more recent versions of U-boot?
> 2. Once SD card is supported by U-boot, how can I make it boot Linux and
> load root filesystem from SD card.
>
> Help will be greatly appreciated.
> Many Thanks for your time and help.

Please beware this is omap specific.
On omap, the sd card is partitioned to have a fat partition and then
a ext2/3 partition.  The kernel is filed called 'uImage' in the fat partition.
The rootfs is on the 2nd ext2/3 parition

By ext2/3 I mean whatever you want it to be usually I use ext3 but
have in the past used ext2.

The environment I use is

----

bootdelay 10
bootargs console=ttyS3,115200n8 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rw rootdelay=1 init=/sbin/init
bootcmd mmcinit; fatload mmc 1 81000000 uImage; bootm 81000000

----

root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 = the root partition, likely you need to change this

Depending on your vintage of u-boot your mmc init command may be
'mmcinit' or maybe 'mmc init'.  If you do not have an mmc init command,
likely you are in trouble and should look at the latest release of u-boot.

Tom