[U-Boot] Board is not booting after flashing U-boot and hard reset

Vivek v.dalal at samsung.com
Wed Dec 30 13:27:08 CET 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "prakash bedge" <embeddeddeveloper2009 at gmail.com>
To: "Stefan Roese" <sr at denx.de>
Cc: <u-boot at lists.denx.de>; <sreedhar.a at jasmin-infotech.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:01 PM
Subject: Re: [U-Boot] Board is not booting after flashing U-boot and hard reset

> Hi Stefan,
>
> I am using PPC440GX.
> I did not understood what mean by EEPROM configuration. Do you want to say
> that board is using data from EEPROM?
> I believe I am using fix configuration as I am not calling any I2C call in
> bootloader code.
The bootstrap code resides in ROM. When you reset the board, PC jumps at that location. Bootstrap code redirects to secondary
storage(may be NAND chip) where your U-boot should be existing. Check whether its jumping onto NAND address where you downloaded
U-Boot inshort check your bootstrap configurations. Also check where you are downloading U-boot. Both should be same.
after verifying above step, and if correct then for debugging U-Boot, you can do below steps:-
1) If your board have UART, then try to capture Log. If no message is coming, it means U-boot crashed in primary initialisation
before UART got initialised. You can use LED(if you have one, on your board) for debugging step be step before UART initialisation.
Once UART is up, then I think its very easy to debug the issue.

> How to check this hard reset issue.
>
> Thanks in Advance.
>
> Prakash
>
> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 29 December 2009 16:04:28 prakash bedge wrote:
>> > I am facing an error while flashing u-boot on my PPC4xx based board.
>>
>> What kind of PPC4xx are you using (405EX, 440SP, 440EPx, 460EX...)?
>>
>> > When I flash the u-boot on the PCI board I am developing, and hard reset
>> >  the board, then the board is not able to boot up.
>> > Also I am not able to debug the code as probe connection fails.
>> >
>> > Whar are the reason that I should check to see why the board is not
>> booting
>> > up after hard reset.
>> > Is it fault in start.S or somewhere else in code I need to see?
>> >
>> > It would be great if someone who already have a solution on this
>> > porblem, share his experience.
>>
>> I suspect some problems with the bootstrap configuration. Are you using a
>> fixed bootstrap option? Or are you using the bootstrap I2C EEPROM? If yes,
>> is
>> this EEPROM configured correctly?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Stefan