[U-Boot] [ARM] Environment variables not available during console initialisation?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 15 19:37:07 CET 2009

Dear Guennadi Liakhovetski,

In message <Pine.LNX.4.64.0901150827340.4456 at axis700.grange> you wrote:

> a user is reporting, that setting "silent" and "baudrate" environment
> variables on ARM have no effect on the console bahaviour. I didn't test
> this but looking at the code it looks logical - the console is initialised
> before environment variables are read. Question - is this a bug that has

This is obviously wrong, as  the  console  baudrate  is  set  *after*
reading  the  "baudrate"  environment  variable  -  at  least for all
conforming  ports.  There  may  be  broken   implementations   around
(especially  when booting from NAND), but these are just what I said:
broken.

> to be fixed, or is there no good fix for this, because we really want to
> have console initialised ASAP - before the driver for the environment
> storage is initialised?

Yes, this is a bug that has to be fixed, you obviously must be able
to access the environment before you can correctly configure the
console port.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own  cynicism,
it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.
                                 - Terry Pratchett, _Guards! Guards!_