[U-Boot] DRAM test problem

Alemao xcarandiru at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 16:23:15 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Kim Phillips<kim.phillips at freescale.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 2009 15:01:05 -0300
> Alemao <xcarandiru at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > So the time for MPC8343 makes sense??? It tooks that long?
>> >
>> > Data cache/instruction cache is inside e300c1 core, u-boot still have
>> > to enable/support it?
>> >
>> > Any hint how could I do it in 83xx family?
>> >
>> > Im loosing a lot of performance and all boards needs to pass this test
>> > before goes out...
>
> maybe what you're testing for itself needs to be better defined..but in
> the meanwhile, check out the CONFIG_*_HID0 assignments for your
> board...they get used in cpu/mpc83xx/start.S - see how they're
> configuring the caches.  See also previous discussions on this list.
>
> Kim

In cpu/mpc83xx/start.S, dcache is enable for stack-in-cache trick:

	/* enable and invalidate the data cache */
	bl	dcache_enable
	sync

dcache_enable:
	mfspr	r3, HID0
	li	r5, HID0_DCFI|HID0_DLOCK
	andc	r3, r3, r5
	mtspr	HID0, r3  /* no invalidate, unlock */
	ori	r3, r3, HID0_DCE
	ori	r5, r3, HID0_DCFI
	mtspr	HID0, r5  /* enable + invalidate */
	mtspr	HID0, r3  /* enable */
	sync
	blr

I didn't find any code that is disabling it after that.

My only concern is whether the times really are consistent, 1min 35sec
is much time compared with 5sec from MPC8541. Maybe my DDR
configuration is wrong.

I'm doing the test in ram, so it should be faster then running from flash.

--
Alemao