[U-Boot] there is no need for uboot to use linux's mtd driver!

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Jun 16 20:33:00 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:52:19PM +0800, liu.yaojin at zte.com.cn wrote:
> i am porting uboot to our board.and i am a fresh man to the uboot.
> after several days on studying uboot.i found uboot's mtd drvier framework
> for nand is very foolish!

As Wolfgang pointed out, patches that actually improve things are welcome.

Don't forget to account for the possibility that a board has more than
one type of NAND controller.

> i think uboot should just have some api,such as
> read/write_page,oob,crc,but let them be null functions.
> !!!because!!! the semiconductor company's engineers will provide the
> functions!!!.

Those functions would be almost identical for a many NAND controllers.

Note that you *can* provide your own read/write page, oob, crc, etc.
functions.  I agree that there should be a way for the generic functions
to not be compiled if they're not needed.

> we shouldn't spend so much time on bootloader.

That's precisely why Linux's code was reused, rather than spending time
writing something from scratch.

-Scott