[U-Boot] BDI3000 help needed

David Hawkins dwh at ovro.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 16 23:49:22 CEST 2009

Hi Nikhil,

> We are about to purchase a BDI3000. We need to reprogram the flash on an
> MPC8540ADS board.
>
> I am looking at this webpage:
> http://ultsol.3dcartstores.com/CodeWarrior-Support_c_8.html
>
> which sells BDI3000 bundled with other software. Can someone tell me
> what additional software would I need to work with the BDI3000. Also,
> can you point me to documentation on how to reprogram the flash and
> install U-boot on the board.

Talk to the sales guys at Abatron :)

You generally will want to purchase;

  - the BDI3000 hardware
  - the firmware for your particular processor, or the
    multiple processors you intend to use
  - a yearly service contract to get updates for your
    processor configurations

At least this is what is needed for the BDI2000 debugger.
As far as configuring the BDI2000, the firmware zip files
come with PDFs showing you how to configure the BDI2000
for a different processor, i.e., you build a C program
that uses the serial port to update the BDI2000 firmware.

As far as Flashing a board with U-Boot, the PDFs also
explain that. The BDI2000 boots and TFTPs a configuration
file. That configuration file can be used to initialize
the board so that the BDI can flash a new image.

There are example configuration files on the Denx FTP
site. Abatron will be happy to explain what you need to
do, and you can always ask for help on this list.

You do not need to buy their bells-and-whistles GUI that
is ... blah blah ... <insert salesman buzz words here > ...

Cheers,
Dave