[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Tue Jun 23 23:14:59 CEST 2009

On 15:41 Tue 23 Jun     , Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 June 2009 15:26:35 Scott Wood wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 06:33:53PM +0200, Detlev Zundel wrote:
> > > Apart from the the above reasons, currently most people who voiced their
> > > opinion (not too many right now) oppose the move.  The reasoning seems
> > > to be that companies using U-Boot inside a commercial product consider
> > > it to be "a neccessary precondition to only accept blessed firmware
> > > upgrades" (my wording).  What motivates this argument is not completely
> > > clear to me.  Maybe it is fear of being liable as a product vendor to
> > > faulty sw upgrades.
> >
> > Regardless of what motivates it, people who sell hardware to such
> > customers (and who also contribute to u-boot) may not want to risk losing
> > that business by pushing GPLv3 on them.
>
> indeed.  expecting businesses to push other peoples' agenda isnt realistic,
> especially when the conversation is pretty much a net customer loss for said
> businesses.  customers arent going to appear because your business is now
> pushing GPLv3 instead of GPLv2, but they will certainly disappear.
200% agree
I can assure you that today If we switch the V2 to the v3 we will lose a lot of
customers and soc that use secure boot as example which is not a progression but a
problematic regression

And force to give the private key which use to sign the code is not reallist
it's a security flaw

so U-Boot will close itself to a lots of business and customers

Best Regards,
J.