[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Wed Jun 24 11:17:35 CEST 2009

Hi Jean-Christophe,

> On 15:41 Tue 23 Jun     , Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> >
>> > Regardless of what motivates it, people who sell hardware to such
>> > customers (and who also contribute to u-boot) may not want to risk losing
>> > that business by pushing GPLv3 on them.
>>
>> indeed.  expecting businesses to push other peoples' agenda isnt realistic,
>> especially when the conversation is pretty much a net customer loss for said
>> businesses.  customers arent going to appear because your business is now
>> pushing GPLv3 instead of GPLv2, but they will certainly disappear.
> 200% agree
> I can assure you that today If we switch the V2 to the v3 we will lose a lot of
> customers and soc that use secure boot as example which is not a progression but a
> problematic regression

What exactly is secure boot?

> And force to give the private key which use to sign the code is not reallist
> it's a security flaw

That's interesting to hear.  Where exactly is there "security" involved
and why should security be implementable by signed binaries only?  Does
that mean that for example I have *no secure* software on my computer
right now?  Don't you mistake "security" for "authenticity"?

> so U-Boot will close itself to a lots of business and customers

As you are not trying to give concrete examples, let me try to formulate
your "facts": U-Boot will not be usable within DRM systems.  Is that
what you are saying?

Cheers
  Detlev

--