[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Thomas Doerfler Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Fri Jun 26 08:11:22 CEST 2009

Richard,

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     - automotive control units: Think about cars being on the highway with
>     many fancy features built into their electronics (from their owners),
>     which unfortunately are a security risk for the owner and others on the
>     road.
>
> I don't think cars depend on software for safety as such.  If a
> computer breaks down, the engine mail run badly -- but if you run
> out of gas, it might stop entirely.  You can still steer the car.

You are only concentrating on the motor control. I am not sure about the
technical skill of the American automotive industry (grin, grin), but at
least in Europe SOME cars already have some safety functions based on
computer systems for good reason.

> If someday cars do have computers whose proper functioning is
> necessary for safety, we could use airplanes as a policy example.  If
> you own a small plane, you are free to change it, but you need to get
> the change inspectied for airworthiness.

Right. The car owner must. But what happens if he doesn't? After a major
accident, will the lawyers really sue the car owner? Or the company who
let the car owner tinker around in the ECU?

Keep in mind that for most car owners, it is much easier to understand
the safety aspects of a  mechanical modification of the car than all
safety aspects of a SW modification.

>     - medical equipment: Think what nice features could be implemented into
>     these many machines located in the emergency room... Accessible to any
>     person who comes by.
>
> Being free to change your copy of a program does not mean you must let
> anyone and everyone change your copy.  For instance, the code on my
> netbook is all free software, but it is not generally accessible to
> anyone but me.

Just out of curiousity: Which percentage of that SW is already GPLv3?

wkr,
Thomas.

Embedded Brains GmbH
Thomas Doerfler        Obere Lagerstrasse 30
D-82178 Puchheim       Germany
email: Thomas.Doerfler at embedded-brains.de
Phone: +49-89-18908079-2
Fax:   +49-89-18908079-9