[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Jun 27 22:07:27 CEST 2009

    >     - medical equipment: Think what nice features could be implemented into
    >     these many machines located in the emergency room... Accessible to any
    >     person who comes by.
    >
    > Being free to change your copy of a program does not mean you must let
    > anyone and everyone change your copy.  For instance, the code on my
    > netbook is all free software, but it is not generally accessible to
    > anyone but me.

    none of your scenarios are applicable to the issues Thomas raised.

My argument shows that his scenario is unrealistic in supposing that
"any person who comes by" can change the software in computers in the
hospital.  If the hospital has the key to install modified software,
"any person who comes by" will not know the key.  Even most of the
staff will not know it.

There probably are ways that people could sabotage the equipment if
they were determined to do so.  Physically, that is.  A person with
experience in servicing these machines could find a way to make them
work wrong but not obviously wrong in a couple of minutes.  Computers
don't change the situation.

It makes no sense to demand a double set of bars over the window while
ignoring the flimsy door with a weak lock.

Therefore, there is no real issue with these medical devices.  But
even if there were, the requirement for installation information in
GPLv3 does not apply to products specifically for hospitals, since
they are not consumer products.