[U-Boot] U-book and GPLv3? (fwd)

Jean-Christophe PLAGNIOL-VILLARD plagnioj at jcrosoft.com
Sat Jun 27 21:05:13 CEST 2009

On 17:35 Fri 26 Jun     , Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > The other systems that you speak of are not consumer products, so this
>     > requirement in GPLv3 does not apply to them.
>     in a Point of payment terminal it does not apply are sure?
>
> I am sure.  Those are not consumer products.  They are made for
> businesses only.
Wrong, as example your cell phone can be a part of the PPT, and your also
have product on the market that allow you to use a PPT at home instead of just
write your credit card number on a website.
So your definition of consumer produts is dangerous and will not fit at all
because you can not known what we can create
>     > You seem to be worried about something you haven't described clearly.
>     > I think you're afraid of shadows, but since you have not described
>     > them clearly, I really don't know.
>     as example with the v3 you force me to give you my private key that I use
>     to protect the product this is not acceptable
>
> To deny the key to the user is not acceptable.  It makes the software
> non-free, and gives the developer power over the user that nobody
> should have.
Certanly not, it will make the product not hackable certanly not the software
non-free.

Best Regards,
J.