[U-Boot] MPC8315ERDB

Louis Ruch louisruch at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 11:02:51 CET 2009

Hey All,

We are working on a Freescale Development Board (the MPC8315E-RDB).  We have
used this board in the past with u-boot and it worked perfectly.  However
now that we are trying to use it again - we seem to be having some trouble
getting the network working.  We have tried the following with a number of
u-boot.bin files (version 1.3.0 the latest 2009.03 version from the git
repository, and a couple of more from Freescale).  However we are having no
luck.

We erased the flash on the board and every since then cannot get a ping
reply from any deivce on our network, and we cannot ping the board itself.

Our set up is very simple we have:
• Hub connecting all the devices
• Server plugged in with light on (192.168.0.31)
• TFTP server plugged in with the light on (192.168.0.22)
• MY laptop plugged in with light on (192.168.0.202)
• The Freescale board with light on (192.168.0.109) - thus it can detect the
pressense of the board on the hub

When we try and ping with no cable plugged in we get the following:

=> ping 192.168.0.31
eTSEC1: No link.
eTSEC0: No Link.
Using eTSEC0 device
ping failed; host 192.168.0.31 is not alive

When we try and ping with a cable plugged in we get the following:

=> ping 192.168.0.31
Speed: 100, full duplex
Using eTSEC0 device
ping failed; host 192.168.0.31 is not alive

Since all the lights on the hub are on we once again know that it is able to
detect the presence of the cable on the board.  Also since the board can
detect the pressense of a cable it seems to be working, at least on the
physical layer.  Is there anything one must do to ensure that u-boot has
network support?  We have built editted versions as well us just extracting
u-boot, building it and programming it. Nothing seems to be working.

Regards,

Louis