[U-Boot] U-Boot's need for MMU

cmfairfa at rockwellcollins.com cmfairfa at rockwellcollins.com
Thu Mar 26 17:55:58 CET 2009

Hi,
I am wondering what the ramifications of not using the MMU in U-Boot are?
I have an MPC8360 (e300 core) where it is capable of disabling the MMU via
the MSR[IR] and MSR[DR] bits.

Before disabling the MMU, I'm just wondering why U-Boot bothers to set up
the MMU on CPU's that providing disabling of the MMU.

PS
I'm not disabling the MMU just for kicks, there are/may be some
program-specific scenarios where I may need to use the option of disabling
the MMU.

Thanks.

Christopher M. Fairfax
Sr. Software Engineer
Rockwell Collins
+1 540-428-3344
+1 540-428-3301
cmfairfa at rockwellcollins.com
This message contains PRIVILEGED AND PROPRIETARY INFORMATION intended
solely for the use of the addressee(s) named above.  Any disclosure,
distribution, copying or use of the information by others is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please advise the
sender by immediate reply and delete the original message.  Thank you.