[U-Boot] U-Boot's need for MMU

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Mar 26 18:22:47 CET 2009

cmfairfa at rockwellcollins.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I am wondering what the ramifications of not using the MMU in U-Boot are?
> I have an MPC8360 (e300 core) where it is capable of disabling the MMU via
> the MSR[IR] and MSR[DR] bits.
>
> Before disabling the MMU, I'm just wondering why U-Boot bothers to set up
> the MMU on CPU's that providing disabling of the MMU.

A big one is that you can't have certain regions be cached (memory) and
others uncached (I/O) -- you'll need to turn the D-cache off altogether.

And even then I'm not sure what happens to the guarded bit when the MMU
is off.

> I'm not disabling the MMU just for kicks, there are/may be some
> program-specific scenarios where I may need to use the option of disabling
> the MMU.

Such as?  One should generally lead with the reason they want to do
something, and only afterwards ask "why not". :-)

-Scott