[U-Boot] Size of external u-boot commands

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Mar 27 11:37:08 CET 2009

Hi Jon,

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 7:26 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
>> Dear Jon Smirl,
>>
>> In message <9e4733910903261435x598055f8m74c5ac03ad16b67e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:
>>>
>>> The *.bin format is not smart enough to encode gaps. It just puts in
>>> 60KB of zeros.
>>
>> Yes, of course. A binary image cannot have holes in it.
>>
>>> My ELF files are 73KB.
>>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 jonsmirl jonsmirl 73290 2009-03-26 16:49 hello_world
>>>
>>> Tell me the right way to make these example programs small and I'll
>>> submit a patch.
>>
>> I don't see a problem that needs fixing. These are example  problems.
>> The  image  size plays no role. If you have any specific requirements
>> for your own code, then adjust the linker script  according  to  your
>> requirements.
>
> By providing a sample linker script to make the example programs
> smaller, you could avoid discussions like this in the future.

But as long as we do not understand what we change or what this does, we
may well get a lot of bug threads in return.  And I have to admit, I'm
not to keen on that.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
... and I will continue to use a  low-level language to indicate how
machines actually compute.  Readers  who only want to see algorithms