[U-Boot] Size of external u-boot commands

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Mar 27 11:57:03 CET 2009

Dear Detlev,

In message <m27i2bl0a3.fsf at ohwell.denx.de> you wrote:

> > By providing a sample linker script to make the example programs
> > smaller, you could avoid discussions like this in the future.
>
> But as long as we do not understand what we change or what this does, we
> may well get a lot of bug threads in return.  And I have to admit, I'm
> not to keen on that.

But we do understand what's going on, or am I missing something?

There is simply no linker script for the  PowerPC  examples,  so  the
default alignment settings for section alignment apply, and I think I
remember that ELF sections are aligned on 64k boundaries by default.

So if somebody wants a less generous alignment, all that needs to be
done is to set up a linker script that uses other alignment; it is a
matter of personal test or projec tneeds if you want to align this on
any specific boundary or if you shose some arbitrary value like 4k or
64 bytes or whatever.

The thing is, that these are examples, and use default settings.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Our business is run on trust.  We trust you will pay in advance.