[U-Boot] U-boot NAND boot on IMX31 3stack(ARM)

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Tue Mar 31 19:20:06 CEST 2009

alfred steele wrote:
> Hi Scott:
> Thanks!
>

>>> I am also wondering if there is a include file which builds up a table
>>> of working NAND devices and thier attributes which tells the U-boot on
>>> the parameters about a particular NAND device on the board like
>>> Block_size , page_size, device size, pages per block, device id etc.
>>> Or This information needs to be kind of hardcoded every time.
>> drivers/mtd/nand/nand_ids.c
> I have three files which probably make sense to include the new flash part.
> drivers/mtd/nand/nand_ids.c

This is the one.  However, an individual NAND driver shouldn't have to
care; it will be taken care of by the NAND subsystem.

> ./common/cmd_doc.c
> ./include/linux/mtd/nand_ids.h:

Ignore these.  They are legacy code that will soon be removed.

> At this point, i do not understand the purpose of each and especially
> how would the structure flash_id be populated from our data sheet for
> the flash part we use
>  "Samsung K9F1G08R0A".

Most likely it is already in the table.

> I basically do not understand all the elements of the array
> nand_flash_dev nand_flash_ids[] to be able to populate it correctly.

Which field in particular are you unsure of?  They are described in the
definition of nand_flash_dev in include/linux/mtd/nand.h.

Is there any reason why your NAND controller driver needs to care about
any of this, as opposed to just hooking up to the NAND subsystem?

-Scott