[U-Boot] Not able to print env variable added in standalone application

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon May 4 20:38:01 CEST 2009

Dear Kartheek N S,

In message <23365798.post at talk.nabble.com> you wrote:

>     I am in need of getting a status message from a standalone application.
> Hence I am using getenv and setenv functions. The standalone application can
> read the env variable using getenv and set the registers accordingly. Based
> on what is set, I am trying to set some env variable using setenv function.
> The variable gets set I think. But I am not able to print that variable
> either in application or in uboot prompt ?

If you cannot print that variable, what makes you then think that
setting it has worked?

Adding some debug code to common/cmd_nvedit.c should be a trivial
thing to do...

>     I am using run_command to jump to the standalone application which is

And you think we can read from our crystall balls hoiw exactly you
might be using "run_command"? Sorry, we're not that good.

> our requirement. But if I use "go" command from uboot prompt to run
> standalone application, I am able to print that env variable.

Well, "go" is the official, documented interface to start a standalone
application.  If this works, then all is fine, no problem to be solve.
Just use "go" then.

>     Could somebody help how to print env variable from standalone
> application ?

You just wrote that it works if you use the correct command?

>     Is there any other place in u-boot where I need to add this variable ?.
> I have added it in CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS.

CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS is completely unrelated to this.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
One does not thank logic.
	-- Sarek, "Journey to Babel", stardate 3842.4