[U-Boot] uboot kernel rejects filesystem

Bharat Bhushan bharat.76 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 10:16:23 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I am very new to u-boot.

I have kernel image, which I loaded to NOR of my board and with bootm,
control passes to kernel and it starts booting.
There is panic in kernel: since it can not find the file-system. I am
afraid, I did make trivial mistake.

I have flashed squashfs filesystem image to NOR @ address NOR1 <I did not
define any partition>.
I do not have MTD support.

Now I tried booting like after setting

setenv kernel_addr 0xBF060000        <<Note this has u-boot hdr generated
form mkimage>>
setenv ramdisk_addr 0xBF260000    <<Note this does not have u-boot hdr
generated form mkimage>>
setenv bootargs 'filesystem=squashfs'
I do bootm ${kernel_addr} ${ramdisk_addr}

I do get error from U_BOOT that :
*Wrong Ramdisk Image Format
Ramdisk image is corrupt or invalid

*I am sure that I have done something wrong in this process:

Few Questions which I could not find the answer:
1. Can I nor-flash the image without u-boot hdr.
2. Is it necessary to have MTD partition defined.
3. Do we have any document which specify the boot arguments in context of
U_BOOT. I tried denx website. I could not figure out much. May be I do not
what to search for.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Bharat