[U-Boot] Help command broken on AT91SAM9G10-EK

Peter Tyser ptyser at xes-inc.com
Fri Nov 13 17:50:46 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 11:10 -0500, Justin Waters wrote:
> It looks like the "help" command is broken on the AT91SAM9G10-EK on
> 2009.11-rc1.  I get the following message any time I try to run it:
>
> Unknown command 'help' - try 'help'
>
> I've bisected the issue, and it looks like it started with the addition
> of the "editenv" command (commit
> 246c69225c7b962d5c93e92282b78ca9fc5fefee).
>
> After some further digging, I found some weirdness with the help command
> beginning with the lead-up work to the editenv commit. Strange
> characters where being printed to the console whenever the help command
> was run.  This issue started with commit
> ecc5500ee487170d8af6ff893fd1e0082380a01a, readline(): Add ability to
> modify a string buffer.
>
> I've also tested the AT91SAM9263-EK, and everything looks great.  I
> believe the difference is related to the fact that the 9G10 does not use
> hush, while the 9263 does. Indeed, if you look at the main loop,
> non-hush systems use "readline" (which is indirectly modified by the
> aforementioned commits), while hush systems do not.
>
> I'm not really sure what would be the best way to fix this.  Any ideas?

Hi Justin,
Thanks for reporting the issue.  I tested the changes with/without Hush
when I submitted the patches and the current top-of-tree U-Boot code
seems to work on my XPedite5370 (MPC8572-based) board here without Hush
enabled.

Do no commands work for you, or just "help" in particular?

And are you seeing 2 separate issues: 1 where the help output is
garbled, and 1 where the "help" command can't be ran?

Would it be possible for you to add a bit of debug to diagnose the
problem further as I can't seem to reproduce it here?

Thanks,
Peter