[U-Boot] RFC: split ARM repo and distribute workload

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 7 14:51:13 CEST 2009

Hello everybody,

I wrote on

| Hello everybody,
|
| ARM has always been one of the architectures that generated a big
| number of different processors and SoCs, but recently the activitiy in
| this area is literally exploding.  This is partially due to the fact
| that ARM is currently used in many designs, so many new ARM based
| processors and SoCs and even more new ARM boards show up, but another
| and at least as important change is that some silicon and board
| vendors have started to actively pushing their products into the
| U-Boot (and Linux) mainline source trees (and *welcome* they all
| are!).
|
| It has become evident that this growing complexity has become way too
| massive to be shouldered by a single custodian, even a very active one
| like Jean-Christophe.
|
| I think we have no other choice but to add more manpower to this task,
| i. e. split the ARM respository and distribute the workload across a
| few more custodians.
|
| Unline with the Power architecture, where the split can be easily
| defined by processor lines, with ARM it seems more logical to me to
| differentiate by silicon vendors.

Thanks for all the discussion so far. I really appreciate your help.

As we are in the middle of a merge window, I don't want to waste much
time. Therefore changes become effective immediately.

This is the result we have so far:

master ARM repository:        Tom Rix

        Tom has accepted his new responsibility. Thanks a lot for
        that. Tom succeeds Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard who did
        this work so far.

        Big thanks goes to Jean-Christophe for all his work so far. I
        hope this change helps to reduce your work load enough so you
        can focus n the many tasks you are running in parallel. Many
        of us are looking forward to seeing your results.

Atmel (AT91):                 Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard

	no changes here.

Freescale (i.MX)

	So far we didn't find a volunteer yet.

	Until we find one, we will not split out a separate repository
	either.

Marvell (PXA + IXP):          Jean-Christophe Plagniol-Villard

	no changes here.

Marvell (all other):          Prafulla Wadaskar

        Prafulla has accepted his new responsibility. Thanks a lot
        for that.

Samsung (s3c, s5pc):          Minkyu Kang

	We don't have Minkyu Kang's word yet, but Kyungmin Park
	recommended him, and I'm optimistic to receiving his OK.

Texas Instruments (OMAP,DaVinci):     Sandeep Paulraj

	Sandeep has accepted responsibility for TI's DaVinci SOCs; at
	the moment it is not clear yet how we will handle OMAP -
	Sandeep suggested to split OMAP and DaVinci into separate
	repositories, but I would like to avoid this, at least until
	all the other changes have sunk in and stabilized. I hope that
	others (Dirk, Tom) can help out a bit here and support Sandeep
	where needed.

I will thus create the following new git repositories:

	u-boot-marvell
	u-boot-samsung
	u-boot-ti

Tom, Prafulla, Minkyu and Sandeep: can you please send me your SSH
public keys so I can enable your access to these repositories?

Minkyu - Kyungmin mentioned that you have problems to push files to
an external git repository through SSH. Is there any other method we
can set up to make access for you easier? Anything that can be done
onour side (like providing a special configuration, say with
non-standsard port numbers or so) is easy for us. Alternatively, if
you could set up a local repository on your side and enable me to
access it through ssh or rsync, I can easily use this and mirror it
to the publicly accessable server. In short - if there is anything we
can do to make work easier for you, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
WARNING:  This Product Attracts Every Other Piece  of  Matter in  the
Universe, Including the Products of Other Manufacturers, with a Force
Proportional  to the Product of the Masses and Inversely Proportional
to the Distance Between Them.