[U-Boot] Firmware Upgrade

Rahanesh rahanesh at tataelxsi.co.in
Tue Sep 15 12:52:19 CEST 2009

Hi All,

Is it Possible from Linux to set an environment variable of u-Boot.?

This is for Firmware up gradation.

Currently Linux  has 4 mtd partitions in flash

mtd0 : U-Boot
mtd1: JFFS file system (Golden image)
mtd2: JFFS file system (Silver image)
mtd3: Configs

U boot does an fsload of uImage(Linux image) from Golden JFFS and boots
up Linux.

Now from Linux I can download a new JFFS(Silver) and flash it to mtd2
partition of Flash.

Is there any mechanism that Linux acknowledges the u-boot  about the new
jffs image that next time it has to
do an fsload of uImage(Linux image) from Silver JFFS , not Golden JFFS.

I thought of Doing this using some environment variables .

But after a successful download of new jffs and writing to mtd2
partition , How will Linux update the environment variable of U-boot?

Any better idea for firmware up gradation?

Expecting your Suggestions and Help

Thanks
Rahanesh