[U-Boot] U-Boot load and run via NAND flash - ARM926EJ-S

N Cheung brjerome.1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 09:04:18 CEST 2009

I presume you system will have SDRAM and execution is from SDRAM.  I did a
port to an Atmel 9260 with only NAND flash (for bootstrap, bootloader, RFS).
The only issue with NAND is dealing with bad blocks.  There are many ways to
work this.  One example:
1. bootstrap - I put it in the first block as it guarantees good by
manufacturer.  ATmel's bootstrap will skip to next block when reading u-boot
into SDRAM for execution
2. RFS - Initially I tried read/writeable FS with bad block management like
JFFS2 but performance was bad.  I end up using CRAMFS on top of UBI in a
read only RFS partition and a small JFFS2 for RW.

Hope this helps.
Norman