[U-Boot] error in fw_printenv

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Sep 17 13:26:58 CEST 2009

Hi Rahanesh,

>> Well, that most certainly means that your /dev/mtd0 is not a NOR or
>> NAND flash device.
>>

>        Now used the fw_printenv under tools/env directory of uboot. It
> does not have IOCTL error.
>
>         On issuing a fw_printenv it showd following messages
>
>          Bad data CRC, Using default environment and printed only few
> environment variables.

This should have made big warning signs flash up - if data crc was not
correct, it was 99% sure that your configuration wasn't ok.

>           Then i did a fw_setenv bootdelay 6. It showed some messgaes of
> erasing flash. But it actually erased my uboot itself.

No big wonder here.

>           What might be the issue? config file?

Of course.

>            MTD device name   Device offset   Env. size        Flash
> sector size   Number of sectors
>             /dev/mtd0                0x0000
> 0x1000               0x10000
>

> What does Device Offset mean?

Offset is the offset into the area mapped by the device file.

> /dev/mtd0 has both uboot as well as  environment variables. Environment
> variables lie at bottom of /dev/mtd0. Is that the meaning of device offset?

That would be the meaning.  You can always test by reading /dev/mtd0
directly from linux and inspect its contents, i.e. try

dd if=/dev/mtd0 bs=64k count=1 | hexdump -C | less

(or something comparable) and look for your environment.

>    #define CFG_ENV_ADDR        0xAD03F000   (Flash starts at 0xAD000000)
>    #define CFG_ENV_SIZE        0x1000
>    #define CFG_ENV_SECT_SIZE   0x10000
>

> These are the macro that i found in include/configs/board.h

This looks completly weird to me.  Can you tell me exactly what board
you are working with?  It looks like this cannot be a NOR flash..

Cheers
  Detlev

--
In God we trust.  All others we monitor