[U-Boot] TFTP Server in U-Boot / Pushing files to U-Boot

Joe Hershberger joe.hershberger at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 23:14:05 CEST 2009

Hi All,

This is related to the post here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot@lists.denx.de/msg06428.html  My use case
is similar... updating the kernel remotely to a deployed, physically
inaccessible system.

I am considering the same thing (TFTP server in U-Boot), but I believe I
have a good reason for wanting it.  At the same time, I don't want to waste
effort if others have a better idea for how to accomplish what I need.

The main sticking point for me with using TFTP client from U-Boot is
firewalls.  My system will be accessed by machines inside a firewall and if
I use TFTP client from U-Boot, then I must poke a hole in the firewall...
however, I have no control over the firewall so that isn't possible.  If the
host machine connects to the U-Boot running TFTP server, then all is well.

I intend to control U-Boot remotely using netconsole.  Is there a better way
to push files to U-Boot over netconsole than implementing TFTP server?  It
seems like this would be a common concern, so it seems likely that it has
been solved (in some other way, since there is no TFTP server support in
U-Boot).

Thanks,
-Joe