[U-Boot] TFTP Server in U-Boot / Pushing files to U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Sep 21 23:56:42 CEST 2009

Dear Joe Hershberger,

In message <4b538920909211414o3a7e9c84se0df6e1622f49a18 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> This is related to the post here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/u-boot@lists.denx.de/msg06428.html  My use case
> is similar... updating the kernel remotely to a deployed, physically
> inaccessible system.
>
> I am considering the same thing (TFTP server in U-Boot), but I believe I
> have a good reason for wanting it.  At the same time, I don't want to waste
> effort if others have a better idea for how to accomplish what I need.

The big question is: why do you want to do this in U-Boot?

> The main sticking point for me with using TFTP client from U-Boot is
> firewalls.  My system will be accessed by machines inside a firewall and if
> I use TFTP client from U-Boot, then I must poke a hole in the firewall...
> however, I have no control over the firewall so that isn't possible.  If the
> host machine connects to the U-Boot running TFTP server, then all is well.

If you really have no control over the firewall, then I seriously
doubt that you will be able to use TFTP at all - no matter if it's
incoming or outgoing traffic.

> I intend to control U-Boot remotely using netconsole.  Is there a better way
> to push files to U-Boot over netconsole than implementing TFTP server?  It

Are you sure you get the netconsole traffic through your (uncon-
trollable, as you wrote) firewall?

> seems like this would be a common concern, so it seems likely that it has
> been solved (in some other way, since there is no TFTP server support in
> U-Boot).

Well, most people use an operating system to perform such complex
tasks.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
>  Is there a way to determine Yesterday's date using Unix utilities?
         echo "what is yesterday's date?" | /bin/mail root
         -- Randal L. Schwartz in <ukbuh2y982.fsf at julie.teleport.com>