[U-Boot] Booting from ext2/ext3

Dunda, Matthias Matthias.Dunda at de.thalesgroup.com
Thu Apr 1 14:11:12 CEST 2010

Dear Wolfgang,

> > to include/configs/MPC8568MDS.h
>
> It seems you are missing the device driver support. If you
> check the code in "disk/part.c" you will see this:

> 218 #if (defined(CONFIG_CMD_IDE) || \
> 219      defined(CONFIG_CMD_MG_DISK) || \
> 220      defined(CONFIG_CMD_SATA) || \
> 221      defined(CONFIG_CMD_SCSI) || \
> 222      defined(CONFIG_CMD_USB) || \
> 223      defined(CONFIG_MMC)                || \
> 224      defined(CONFIG_SYSTEMACE) )

Indeed, there was something missing! I added the configurations like
described in doc/README.usb:

CONFIG_CMD_USB
CONFIG_USB_UHCI
CONFIG_USB_STORAGE

It seems, like these aren't sufficient - again at final linking stage I get
missing references (see attachment).

At least disk/part.o has some symbols now:

00000000 d block_drvr
000000dc T dev_print
0000031c T get_dev
000002a0 T get_partition_info
         U get_partition_info_dos
000002dc T init_part
00000004 T print_part
         U print_part_dos
         U printf
         U puts
         U strlen
         U strncmp
         U test_part_dos
         U usb_stor_get_dev

Anyhow, get_partition_info_dos and others are undefined :-(

The goal is to boot from an USB Disk-on-Module, formatted either ext2/3 or
maybe FAT.

Happy Easter - all!
Matthias