[U-Boot] Writing into filesystems, using uboot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Apr 1 14:17:02 CEST 2010

Dear Rajat Jain,

In message <x2sb115cb5f1004010449m78016f13vb731b2ed7043a68e at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> I stumbled upon this patch I found for uboot UFS support:
>
> http://blog.springdaemons.com/2008/10/31/u-boot-ffs-ufs-support
> http://www.springdaemons.com/stas/u-boot-ffs.patch
>
> Has some one tried this? Does it give you the capability to WRITE to a
> UFS partition? Doesn't look like it, but me being a newbie, I'd
> appreciate if some one could please confirm?

There is no write() code anywhere in that patch.

Also note that the licensing of that patch is incomplatible with the
GPL that applies for U-Boot.

> Also, does uboot in general allow to WRITE into ext2 partitions, for e.g?

No, it does not. All file system code gives read-only support only.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
While most peoples' opinions change, the conviction of their correct-
ness never does.