[U-Boot] Adding new partition in uboot

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Apr 8 12:06:01 CEST 2010

Hi Wolfgang,

> Dear David Gibson,
>
> In message <20100401185147.GA17447 at yookeroo> you wrote:
>>
>> > Let me know if we need to increase size of the blob or something which i m
>> > missing.
>> > This is going to help  a lot if you can reply.
>>
>> For this case where there's a flash partition that's sometimes there
>> and sometimes not, it might be simpler to put all the partitions,
>> including the not-always-present ones in the dts.  Then you can use
>> fdt_nop_subnode() to remove the extra one on systems where it's not
>> present.
>
> A completely different approach woul dbe NOT to try defining the flash
> partitions in the device tree, but use command line partitioning in
> combination with the "mtdparts" command support in U-Boot. For
> frequently changing configurations this is probably the most flexible
> approach.

Actually we have code to fix up the flat device tree from the mtdparts value:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/76029/match=mtdparts

This is somewhat nicer than the "command line bottleneck" and we should
really start using it broadly.

Cheers
  Detlev

--
Of course my password is the same as my pet's name
My macaw's name was Q47pY!3 and I change it every 90 days