[U-Boot] ATMEL Custodians == /dev/null ??

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Aug 9 10:13:42 CEST 2010

Dear Haavard Skinnemoen,

In message <20100809132949.43c81f64 at hskinnemoen-d830> you wrote:

> But it does seem kind of rude to just hand everything off without
> Cc'ing any of the maintainers in question. Perhaps they would respond
> more quickly if people actually send e-mail to them?

Rude? send e-mail to them?

It's not that I'm going to hand off (note that nothing has happened
yet) anything from any active custodian.

First, I have poked them a number of times, both on and off list.

Second, they are subscribed to this list, and supposed to read the
traffic. Especially if addresses directly in the Subject they should
notice that, right?

Third, there have been patches posted that clearly fall in their
domain, and there is zero response: no comment, no activity in the
custodian directory, no pull request, nothing.

Finally, I have to admit that I have been a bit sceptic right from the
beginning to assign custodianship to someone who has no track record
as developer in the community. But obviously Atmel would be in the
best positition to provide decent support for their chips. At least
that was my hope.

I am seriously sick with the current situation. We have a number of
AT91 and AVR32 related patches sitting there with nobody taking care
of them. No life signs of any custodian or anybody else from Atmel.

But then there are people available who are actively working with
these chips, who post fixes and other patches, and who even volunteer
to take the burden of maintaining the tree.

Guess what I'll do?  Continue to wait that some vendor wakes up?

> Btw, I'm not ranting at you, Mike. Thanks for letting me know about the
> discussion, although I would have preferred a bit more context...
>
> For the record, the thread seems to be this one, but I seem to be
> unable to find the start of it...
>
> http://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2010-August/074769.html

Just have a look at the "References:" headers, and look up the first
one in gmane - just append the message ID to http://mid.gmane.org/

==> http://mid.gmane.org/4C50E124.2000807@emk-elektronik.de

==> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/81812

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Software suppliers are trying to make their  software  packages  more
``user-friendly''.  .  .  .  Their best approach, so far, has been to
take all the old brochures, and stamp the words, ``user-friendly'' on
the cover.                                               - Bill Gates