[U-Boot] Make preparatory patches that initially have no effect?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 14 16:30:09 CEST 2010

Dear Reinhard Meyer,

In message <4C665CB9.2040406 at emk-elektronik.de> you wrote:

> If I add those discrete changes to each driver patch (where it
> might actually belong), the incremental changes to some of
> those files would require all those driver patches to be applied
> in the right order to avoid conflicts.

Yes, and? What's the problem with that?

> Therefore I would like to put all new header files and all
> changes to header files in one patch which would need to be
> applied before the driver patches.
>
> That patch would essentially cause no change to existing code.
>
> Anyone find this idea bad?

Yes,m that's a bad idea. Please re-read the "patches" wiki page.
Commits shall be atomic, and complete. Splitting stuff that
belongstogether is a bad idea, and your first patch that adds unused
stuff will be rejected because of that reason: adding unused stuff.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Perl already has an IDE.  It's called Unix.
                      -- Tom Christiansen in 375bd509 at cs.colorado.edu