[U-Boot] Make preparatory patches that initially have no effect?

Reinhard Meyer u-boot at emk-elektronik.de
Sat Aug 14 19:05:19 CEST 2010

Dear Wolfgang Denk,
>> If I add those discrete changes to each driver patch (where it
>> might actually belong), the incremental changes to some of
>> those files would require all those driver patches to be applied
>> in the right order to avoid conflicts.
>
> Yes, and? What's the problem with that?

None for me. Only for people that want to try out a single (driver)
patch.

For example at91_gpbr.h is required by two independent patches.
Of course, I could base both patches such that each one introduces
that file.

> Yes,m that's a bad idea. Please re-read the "patches" wiki page.
> Commits shall be atomic, and complete. Splitting stuff that
> belongstogether is a bad idea, and your first patch that adds unused
> stuff will be rejected because of that reason: adding unused stuff.

I know that, however it could be argued that adding header files to
describe an architectures' hardware is not exactly specific to a driver.
Thats why I asked....

Best Regards,
Reinhard