[U-Boot] Make preparatory patches that initially have no effect?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Aug 14 20:46:41 CEST 2010

Dear Reinhard Meyer,

In message <4C66CCCF.9080303 at emk-elektronik.de> you wrote:

> None for me. Only for people that want to try out a single (driver)
> patch.

They can apply the patch series anyway (at least to the patch they are
interested in).

> For example at91_gpbr.h is required by two independent patches.
> Of course, I could base both patches such that each one introduces
> that file.

Have the first add that file, and the second assume it comes later in
the sequence.

> > Yes,m that's a bad idea. Please re-read the "patches" wiki page.
> > Commits shall be atomic, and complete. Splitting stuff that
> > belongstogether is a bad idea, and your first patch that adds unused
> > stuff will be rejected because of that reason: adding unused stuff.
>
> I know that, however it could be argued that adding header files to
> describe an architectures' hardware is not exactly specific to a driver.
> Thats why I asked....

The wiki page does not talk about drivers... It's a general rule and
applies to all sorts of code. Only add what is really used (this also
refers, for example, to struct definitions for register blocks etc. -
don't try to provide a complete description of your SoC; add only
stuff that is actually used by the code).

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"I like your game but we have to change the rules."