[U-Boot] Debugging why my kernel won't start

Rogan Dawes rogan at dawes.za.net
Tue Aug 17 06:30:02 CEST 2010

On 2010/08/17 12:03 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Rogan Dawes,
>
> In message <4C69A8DA.8020201 at dawes.za.net> you wrote:
>>
>>> Are you absolutely sure that you have RAM in your system at 0x8000?
>>> I doubt that your Load Address/Entry Point settings are correct.
>>
>> This is the default kernel that was shipped with the device, and so
>> those are the settings that worked with the original u-boot.
>
> Why do you not simply answer the question I asked?

Because I don't know how to get the answer to your question.

My assumption is that, since this is the vendor kernel, and that this is
the working configuration that they were using, that there MUST be
memory at that location, otherwise the thousands of devices that they
shipped would surely not have worked.

Clearly there is a different configuration somewhere between the vendor
u-boot, and what mainline is using. All I am trying to do is figure out
where that difference might be.

> Why do you not think about what I asked, and why?

I tried to find out by looking up the default CS0 value from the
chipset, and seeing if there were any changes made to it in current
u-boot. That's all I know how to do.

>>> Is there RAM at 0x00800000 ?
>>
>> Again, this is from the default vendor ramdisk that ships with the device.
>
> Why should I care about where this is coming from?
>
> On such a base I cannot help you.

Thanks for all the help you have given me so far. I'm sorry to have been
such a pain.

Rogan