[U-Boot] Debugging why my kernel won't start

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 18 12:54:59 CEST 2010

Dear Rogan Dawes,

In message <4C6BAC5A.6060206 at dawes.za.net> you wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. It did make a slight difference in the boot
> logs. bootcmd uses the default (in flash) location for the ramdisk,

Actually it's a pretty significant difference, as for the first time
you actually see the kernel trying to access the ramdisk.

> > RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> > invalid compressed format (err=1)
>
> So it seems that the ramdisk is getting corrupted somehow. And yet, it
> is fine using the vendor u-boot. It must be something that I am doing wrong.

Try copying the raw ramdisk image (i. e. without the U-Boot header) to
RAM, and try that one, i. e. something like

	=> cp.b ff9a0040 01600000 ...size...
	=> bootm ff820000 1600000

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
If in any problem you find yourself doing an immense amount of  work,
the answer can be obtained by simple inspection.