[U-Boot] Debugging why my kernel won't start

Rogan Dawes rogan at dawes.za.net
Wed Aug 18 11:48:10 CEST 2010

On 2010/08/18 7:51 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> Dear Rogan Dawes,
>
> In message <4C6B08F1.9000804 at dawes.za.net> you wrote:
>>
>> The ramdisk is located at ff9a0000 (in flash). Its image header
>> relocates it to 00800000:
>
> Try to copy the ramdisk to RAM, and pass the Linux kernl an address in
> RAM.
>
> Try it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the suggestion. It did make a slight difference in the boot
logs. bootcmd uses the default (in flash) location for the ramdisk,
while the second one has a copy of the ramdisk image at 1600000
(including the header). Both logs are using mainline u-boot, not the
vendor one.

< DNS323B1> run bootcmd
> DNS323B1> bootm ff820000 1600000

< initrd (0xff9a0040 - 0xffe9f758) extends beyond physical memory -
disabling initrd

> checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like
an initrd
> Freeing initrd memory: 5117K

> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> invalid compressed format (err=1)

So it seems that the ramdisk is getting corrupted somehow. And yet, it
is fine using the vendor u-boot. It must be something that I am doing wrong.

Rogan