[U-Boot] which protocol do I use to send S-record files when using the loads command ?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Aug 18 19:38:15 CEST 2010

Dear Peter Barada,

In message <1282151376.23742.30.camel at thunk> you wrote:

> Hmm, sounds like you don't use any flow-control on the serial port so
> when u-boot goes away to do work it signals the other end(your host
> running Terraterm/HyperTerminal) to stop transmitting until u-boot's
> serial fifo has room in it.  If Terraterm/HyperTerminal don't have the
> right flow-control setup then they'll keep tyring to stuff data into the
> fifo (which gets dropped on the floor).

Such wild speculations that are not based on personal experience or
knowledge are not really helpful.

U-Boot does not implement any kind of flow control on the serial port.

For S-Record download, there is some basic synchronization based on
the echo of the input that it sends back (assuming CONFIG_LOADS_ECHO
is set in the board configuration), but this requires a terminal
emulation that understands how to handle that.  This is why the manual
recommends "cu" and "kermit".

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
But the only way of discovering the limits  of  the  possible  is  to
venture a little way past them into the impossible.
                         - _Profiles of the Future_ (1962; rev. 1973)
                  ``Hazards of Prophecy: The Failure of Imagination''