[U-Boot] The ctrlc() does not work when used from post_hotkeys_pressed()

Michael Zaidman michael.zaidman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 17:35:47 CET 2010

Dear Wolfgang,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 5:24 PM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

>> > As mentioned before, the POST code is supposed to be NOT interactive.
>>
>> Then how we supposed to switch the POST_SLOWTEST mode?
>>
>> Is the proprietary HW button scanning implemented in post_hotkeys_pressed()
>> of some boards contradicting with "NOT interactive" claim?
>
> No, not at all. This feature performs a one-time scanning of some
> inputs at power on (or at reset). This can be buttons that a user
> presses (and holds pressed) when power cycling / resetting the
> device, or DIP switches, or similar.
>
> We only record the state to switch on a specific boot mode.

Sorry, but I still do not understand why it can not be ctrlc() also.
It can be scanned only once in the post_hotkeys_pressed() in the same
manner any other mentioned by you above input is scanned.

In my board I implemented both methods: HW botton and ctrlc()
and both are working OK. Just think, the ^C add us great possibility
to switch the board into SLOW POST mode without touching it physically.
It can be done even remotely via support's department VPN connection
to the host PC serially connected to the board as in the case of my
company product. The ^C can be send by ATE (Automatic Test Equipment)
station in fully automatic way and so on...

> We do not need any interactivity during the POST itself.

I am not speaking about interaction during POST itself also. All I am trying
to say is that we already have the console input available prior the post
is running. Why do not utilize this advantage?

Regards,
Michael