[U-Boot] CFI not detecting S29 flash device on 405gp board

Jerry Van Baren gvb.uboot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 02:57:25 CET 2010

Hi Ayman,

ame wrote:
> Some additional information and a small amount of success.
>
> I was finally able to get the part identified correctly
> using the CFI code.  However, ONLY when I use gdb+bdi
> 2000.  So if I just use "reset run" on the bdi then it
> will fail with the log in my previous email.  If I use
> "reset halt", then using gdb tell it to continue (no
> breakpoints or anything), then it is correctly identified.
> Without the bdi attached it does not work either (fails
> in the same way as case #1).
>
> I don't know what the difference is but obviously there
> is something about using continue that makes it work. I
> put a large delay (several hundred ms) before the flash
> reset, but it did not seem to matter.

Your BDI-2000 config has some initialization in it which is configuring
something in your hardware to make the flash interface work.  Reset run
does not do the BDI-2000 config script.  Reset halt does.

Perhaps you have chip select configuration in your BDI-2000 initialization?

Start removing configuration items from your BDI-2000 config.  When it
breaks, the last thing that you removed will be it. ;-)

> I also tried a patch that was posted for moving the reset
> command into the board specific files to handle the case
> of flashes that go south when they get certain resets.
> I only implemented the AMD reset, but again, no diff.

Your hardware is not being initialized properly by your u-boot
initialization code, but it is by your BDI-2000 config.  It is not a CFI
/ S29 flash issue, it is a basic hardware initialization issue.

> Thanks
> Ayman

Best regards,
gvb