[U-Boot] using U-boot to lauch OS-less application

Mangelschots, Jef Jef.Mangelschots at safetran.com
Tue Jan 5 19:12:57 CET 2010

Hi,
We are starting a new project targeted to the MPC5121 platform (based on ads5121e reference design).
We will be using Green Hills development environment.

We are investigating our option for boot loader.
We were wondering whether U-boot could serve this purpose.

Questions:

1)      Is it possible to have U-boot launch a standalone executable application, rather than start up an OS (e.g. Linux, VxWorks) ?

2)      If so, is this possible ? what would need to be done ?

3)      Can U-Boot be compiled with GreenHills compiler, or is it best to crosscompile with GNU ?

Thx

Any files attached to this e-mail will have been checked with virus detection software prior to transmission but you should carry out your own virus check before opening any attachment. Safetran Systems Corp does not accept liability for any damage or loss which may be caused by software viruses. The contents of this e-mail and any attachments are the property of Safetran Systems Corp and are intended for the confidential use by the named recipient only. They may be legally privileged and should not be communicated to, or relied upon, by any other person without written consent. If you are not the addressee, please notify us immediately at the following address: Safetran Systems Corporation, 2400 Nelson Miller Parkway, Louisville, Kentucky 40223. Safetran Systems Corp is a subsidiary of Invensys Plc. Registered office: Portland House, Bressenden Place, London, SW1E 5BF. UK Registered in England and Wales No. 1641421.