[U-Boot] using U-boot to lauch OS-less application

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 5 20:37:25 CET 2010

Dear "Mangelschots, Jef",

In message <30B2E08442EE5044AE9822AD2C2F714305396ADC1A at SAFEMAIL.safetran.railad.com> you wrote:

> 1)      Is it possible to have U-boot launch a standalone executable
> application, rather than start up an OS (e.g. Linux, VxWorks) ?

Yes, this is possible.

> 2)      If so, is this possible ? what would need to be done ?

Yes, this is possible. You just need to write a standalone
application.

> 3)      Can U-Boot be compiled with GreenHills compiler, or is it best to
> crosscompile with GNU ?

I have no idea if or how thee GH tools work, or if anybody ever tried
or even succeeded building U-Boot with them. If you want reliable
results quickly you are most probably better off with a GNU tool
chain.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?