[U-Boot] MPC8315 uboot hangs on relocation

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jan 7 19:54:11 CET 2010

Dear Sureshkumar Nagarathinam,

In message <839118.2412.qm at web112320.mail.gq1.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> Since the board has only 8MB of flash, I have modified the the TEXT_BASE to 0xFFF80000(as against 0xFE000000).  I am able to access the DDR2 SDRAM(whole 128MB) , I tested it by writing & reading the patterns 0xaaaaaaaa & 0x555555555, So  I assumed the D
> DR2 SDRAM timing are proper.

This is absolutely NO guarantee that the RAM is working correctly at
all. You did not try any burst mode accesses. See the FAQ:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootCrashAfterRelocation

> I would like to know the following
> 1. What does the 'GOT(__bss_start) do?

It's the entry of __bss_start in the GOT (Global Offset Table). But
you don't need to know this. It is unrelated to your problem.

> 2. Do I have to change the linker script since I have changed the TEXT_BASE?

Are you sure you understood exactly what you changed, and why?

> 3. Is there any other cause for hanging?

RAM not correctly initialized.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.