[U-Boot] MPC8315 uboot hangs on relocation

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Thu Jan 7 20:57:27 CET 2010

Sureshkumar Nagarathinam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am porting the u-boot for a  customized board based on MPC8315
> processor. It has DDR2 SDRAM of 128 MB & 8 MB of flash.  I found that
> the code hangs during the relocation of the code, exactly in the
> following line  (@ relocation function in cpu/mpc83xx/start.S)
>              lwz  r5, GOT(__bss_start)

Besides what Wolfgang wrote, are you sure you have your memory map set
up properly so GOT(__bss_start) is mapped to a valid piece of memory?
If your memory map is not configured properly, you might be getting a
double bus fault (first fault due to unmapped memory, second fault due
to the bus fault vector causing a bus fault), causing the processor to
curl up and die.

Depending on processor, processor configuration, and phase of the moon,
sometimes it is actually the next instruction that is causing the bus
fault because the processor can prefetch and speculatively execute
instructions.  Probably not in this case, but be warned.

[snip]

> Thank you in advance for helping
> Regards,
> Suresh