[U-Boot] ppc: How to get uboot (relocated) start address in RAM

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Fri Jan 15 10:35:54 CET 2010

Hi Richard,

> I a world post-ppc-relocation-patch, with gd->reloc_off removed,
>
> I seem to have lost my way of figuring out uboot's address in RAM at run time.
> Previously, I am able to use (gd->reloc_off+CONFIG_SYS_MONITOR_BASE) to get the answer.
>
> Knowing the address is very useful for debuggging uboot using gdb.
>
> The only spot that works now is the dest_addr variable in lib_ppc/board.c::board_init_r
>
> debug ("Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: %08lx\n", dest_addr);
>
> But the dest_addr is not saved into a global data variable.
>
> Is it ok if I submit a patch that copies this dest_addr to gd->relocaddr
> (currently only used by CONFIG_AMIGAONEG3SE) and print it as part of bdinfo?

Actually I also realised lately that the missing reloc_off makes
debugging harder :(

> Or is there a better method I am missing?

I did not come around looking into it more closely, but your approach
seems to be a good plan.  Can you please cook up a patch so we can have
a look at it?

Thanks
  Detlev

--
.. the tools we are trying to use and the language we or notation we are using
to express or record our thoughts,  are the major factors  determining what we