[U-Boot] U-boot running on DDR fails to detect the CFI compliant flash

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jan 19 15:19:09 CET 2010

In message <4B55BA83.4050505 at ge.com> Jerry Van Baren wrote:

> What I find is *VERY* helpful when trying to understand flash control
> issues is to *manually* do the QRY write sequence (see your flash data
> sheet) by using memory write/read commands from the u-boot command
> prompt.  This way I can quickly try different byte widths, lanes, etc.
> for the writes and see the full QRY response from the memory.  Usually

Right.

> the problem is a simple misunderstanding of how the chip is configured
> or the hardware is wired (beware of hardware designers doing "endian
> fixes").

Another pretty popular trick of the hardware guys is to connect pin 0
of the data bus of the flash to pin 0 of the processor data bus, pin
1 to pin 1 etc. This gives a nice 1:1 mapping, but unfortunately not
a working system. But you should notice this already when trying to
flash you image with the JTAG probe.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Unix is simple, but it takes a genius to understand the simplicity."
					             - Dennis Ritchie