[U-Boot] U-boot running on DDR fails to detect the CFI compliant flash

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at ge.com
Tue Jan 19 14:58:27 CET 2010

Stefan Roese wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 January 2010 07:24:10 prakash bedge wrote:
>> I have tried the code in the URL link you have provided. But still I am
>> facing the same problem. I am getting the error in "flash_detect_cfi" as
>> flash not found. It fails at initial stage at read CFI query command.
>> The code you have provided is for M29W128GL.(Numonix). Will this work for
>> M29W128GH (STMIcrotronics)?
>
> Frankly, I don't know. You need to check the datasheets, to see if there are
> some differences.
>
>> I believe Uboot support M29W128GH flash. I am using this flash chip in 16 x
>> 8 bit mode.
>> The URL I provided is available under the thread:
>> "[U-Boot] Query: Does Uboot support CFI flash driver forM29W128GH".
>> Can there be an endianness issue, as I am running uboot from SDRAM and in
>> Big endian mode?
>
> No, I don't think that this is an endian issue. All PPC4xx platforms are doing
> it the same way. This must be a different problem.
>
> Did you check that the NOR chip is really selected (chip select signal etc on
> the FLASH chip via oscilloscope)? Are the addresses correct for the query
> (etc) commands?
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan

IIRC, Prakash added debug print statements that showed the "Q" of the
"QRY" being read, but did not show anything more.  As a result, it was
impossible to tell why the CFI detect was not working.

What I find is *VERY* helpful when trying to understand flash control
issues is to *manually* do the QRY write sequence (see your flash data
sheet) by using memory write/read commands from the u-boot command
prompt.  This way I can quickly try different byte widths, lanes, etc.
for the writes and see the full QRY response from the memory.  Usually
the problem is a simple misunderstanding of how the chip is configured
or the hardware is wired (beware of hardware designers doing "endian
fixes").

Good luck,
gvb