[U-Boot] SPI and spi_cs_activate

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Fri Jan 29 17:27:01 CET 2010

On Friday 29 January 2010 11:18:10 Wolfgang Wegner wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:11:36AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Friday 29 January 2010 10:59:28 Wolfgang Wegner wrote:
> > > I am trying to get the spi_mmc driver by Robert Selberg and Hans Eklund
> > > to run on my new Coldfire board. (The driver was posted as a patch some
> > > time ago, clearly marked as not ready for mainline. I just did not
> > > figure out the correct search term to give the message ID.)
> > >
> > > Now I am running into problems because the driver uses
> > > spi_cs_[de]activate, which is rather useless on coldfire which does
> > > automatic cs.
> > >
> > > Looking through other drivers' code it seems to me that
> > > spi_cs_[de]activate was never meant to be called from anybody else but
> > > some special SPI drivers that can not aotumatically control cs lines or
> > > for systems where SPI is done in software and so setting the
> > > appropriate GPIOs is handed over to special board-dependent code.
> >
> > there are plenty of SPI controllers which allow the CS to be manually
> > controlled.  this isnt a "special" driver.
>
> OK, of course controlling CS manually is possible on most systems (via
> GPIO). What I meant is that most systems do not care to control it
> automatically (mostly for complexity reasons or because of real
> HW limitations, as far as I understand).

i'm not talking about GPIOs.  i'm talking about dedicated CS pins that are
connected to the controller.

> > the MMC/SPI driver was written on a Blackfin system.  it working on any
> > other system is coincidental as a result of leveraging the common
> > frameworks.  feel free to submit fixes.
>
> This is my intention in case I understand in which direction I have
> to fix. (And in case I then get it to work in such a way, of course.)

see how the linux mmc/spi driver does it.  i dont think linux provides a
dedicate cs function for SPI drivers to use, but the linux mmc/spi doesnt seem
to have a problem.

> Are all SPI drivers supposed to supply functions to manually control
> the CS lines?

*shrug*

> If so, what means shall be provided to disable automatic control?

i dont understand the question.  implement the two functions that are part of
the SPI API.
-mike