[U-Boot] Booting with kernel and root fs in JFFS2 flash?

Alexander Stein alexander.stein at systec-electronic.com
Thu Jul 1 08:25:58 CEST 2010

Hello Adam,

Am Donnerstag, 1. Juli 2010, 04:37:31 schrieb Adam Moskowitz:
> To make better use of the 32MB of flash on the board, we're considering
> putting the kernel, the root filesystem, and some state data in a JFFS2
> partition on the flash. I thought sure I read somewhere in the docs that
> it's possible to boot from files in a JFFS2 (again, loading into a
> ramdisk), but now I can't find where it talks about that or even if it's
> possible.
>
> Can someome please tell me if this is indeed possible and, if so, where
> in the docs it shows how to do this?

It is possible. Just include your uImage into your JFFS2 image and load it
from u-boot using fsload. Make sure you include the proper commands into u-
boot. But beforehand you have to setup mtdparts so u-boot knows where to
search for JFFS2 filesystem. The current partition is changed using 'chpart'.

Best regards
Alexander