[U-Boot] Booting with kernel and root fs in JFFS2 flash?

Adam Moskowitz adamm at menlo.com
Thu Jul 1 04:37:31 CEST 2010

Right now I have my board (a custom PPC-based system) booting from a
kernel and a root filesystem, both in raw flash partitions, both created
with mkimage; The root is loaded as a ramdisk (kinda like an initrd); we
don't actually run with the root in flash.

To make better use of the 32MB of flash on the board, we're considering
putting the kernel, the root filesystem, and some state data in a JFFS2
partition on the flash. I thought sure I read somewhere in the docs that
it's possible to boot from files in a JFFS2 (again, loading into a
ramdisk), but now I can't find where it talks about that or even if it's
possible.

Can someome please tell me if this is indeed possible and, if so, where
in the docs it shows how to do this?

Thanks,
Adam